Monday, August 23, 2010

Flowers, Fennel and Fall

This morning, dew drops on the chaise. First sign of fall approaching. I will miss the roses. The plants seem already to know. Everything has been rushing to complete its cycle, then going to seed.


But at the same time, I see shoots for new snow peas rising from the soil.

While harvesting the fennel, I also spotted a couple of baby fennel seedlings just arriving to join the party. That's what my garden has seemed like this season. A swinging, colorful party. I have loved every plant, herb and vegetable that graced my beds.


So even though some leaves are showing age spots, there are still cukes on the vines and newcomers in the wings.

Several herbs are just reaching their prime too. The sage in particular is full and fragrant. Just brushing past it can bring up the aroma of turkey stuffing and memories of Thanksgivings past. But let's not get ahead of ourselves here. It's still only August.

No comments: